Monday, June 26, 2017

There is no Off-Season




Let me preface this post by saying that I have played and watched sports since I could walk.  I've played, in no particular order: football, basketball, baseball, soccer, tennis, track&field, and even dabbled in lacrosse.  As a kid growing up in Durham, Norh Carolina I was always going from one sport to the next.  After football season came basketball - after basketball came baseball - after baseball came the next sport.  Looking back,  it was a vicious cycle actually, thanks Mom.  But in all seriousness; what I've come to realize in my geriatric years is that there is no longer an off-season.

I listen to quite a bit of sports-talk radio.  Like most Americans I obsessively watch ESPN, FS1, and the like.  I listen and read pretty much anything sports related just to get my "fix."   Sports season's  have now done what most human being wish they could do; they never DIE!!!!

I swear the Super Bowl just ended (Congrats Patriots fans, sucks to be you Falcons fans) yet teams are only a few weeks away from reporting back to training camp.  Squeezed in between the SB and the start of training camps have been 14,000000 OTA's ⬅️ Organized team activities, and the endless talk of why Colin Kaepernick is still unemployed 🤷🏾‍♂️  In short, the season never ended!

The NBA finals concluded a few weeks back.  KD got his chip, GS is the best team in the history of  teams sports on any plant, in the entire friggin galaxy, and LeBron haters can continue to rejoice in pure unadulterated hate.  You wouldn't know it because not two hours after the final buzzer sounded in game 5, pundits (me included m) were yapping about what trade Cleveland needed to make to compete with Golden State.  Also, the NBA draft just went down and every 18-year old in Amaerica just went in the first round.  It's never - friggn - ends.

I love sports for the lessons it teaches, the bonds they build,  and the character that they reveal. With that being said,  I still feel we as humans need a break from sports.  Take time and enjoy your family, read and good book, or even volunteer in your community.  Help your neighbor, take your granny to the supermarket, start a blog.  What I'm saying is sports shouldn't be all encompassing in your life; get out there and live it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to check twitter for any trade updates.  Don't judge me.

Daimeon S.Banks
@Sportsbydaimeon

No comments:

Post a Comment